There is something so motivating about turning the calendar to the new year. It feels like a fresh start and gets us excited to enact positive change. Take advantage of this feeling now - it's usually gone by February! - and cultivate new habits that will make for a more peaceful home in 2015. Here are some ideas to get started:
1. Schedule time to declutter. Open your calendar and block out some time to tackle the big or small areas of your home where stuff seems to pile up. Keep the sessions at 1-2 hours to prevent burnout, and honor those appointments as you would any other.
2. Rearrange one room. Nothing changes your perspective on your space quite like rearranging the furniture. Give yourself a different view from your favorite chair, or try moving some things away from the walls. We tend to get in a rut in the way we use our space and changing even one room can open us up to new possibilites.
3. Try aromatherapy. Our sense of smell is closely tied to our emotions. Use this to improve your mood during the dreary winter months by diffusing essential oils or just simmering some spices on the stove. As a bonus this counteracts the drying effect of indoor heat.
4. Create a bedroom sanctuary. Sleep is a precious commodity so our bedrooms should help us make the most of it. Declutter this space and make it a work- and technology-free zone (this is tough, I know!). Resolve to use this room only for sleep and connecting with your partner and you'll enjoy a more restful new year.
5. Address one thing every night that drives you crazy. I'm not talking about family members here. There is probably one thing you put off every night out of exhaustion that, after a few days creates a huge mess. Maybe it's laundry, or kid's toys, or (if you're like me) incoming mail. Instead of waiting until it's a crisis to be solved, spend just 15 minutes each night taking care of it.
What are your resolutions for 2015? Let me know in the comments!
If you found these tips helpful be sure to subscribe to the Pretty Neat weekly email! You'll get a short and sweet message each week with my best advice for a more beautiful and functional home. Click here to sign up, and you'll also receive my FREE guide: How to Get Rid of Stuff!
Make it fab!