Now that we have sprung our clocks ahead it’s time to prepare our homes for warmer weather. One of the most important areas to tackle is the entryway: it is a hard-working space in your home and deserves some attention. Here are five elements to address as we head into the spring season.
1. Outwear and Shoes – This is the perfect time to swap out your family’s heavy boots and parkas for spring jackets and sneakers. Consider donating anything that doesn’t fit or didn’t get worn this winter, and store the rest in the back of the closet or another area of your home. It’s also a great time to take heavy coats to the cleaners – put them in your car now so you won’t forget!
2. Accessories – Put away the winter hats, scarves, and gloves to make room for ball caps and umbrellas. Toss anything that is worn out and run the rest through the wash so it’ll be fresh for next year.
3. Surface – A spot to set down keys and mail is essential in the entryway. If you don’t have a surface for this, try adding an accent table near the door. Is your space too tight even for a small table? Try adding some hooks and a hanging mail basket to free up your hands as you come through the door.
4. Seat – Help encourage a cleaner home with a place to sit and easily remove shoes upon entry. If you have a narrow hallway entry that does not have a place for a seat, well, this is a problem I’m trying to solve in my own home! I’m considering a folding stool stored by the door, but I’d love to hear what has worked for you.
5. Rug – Your entryway rug takes a beating, especially in the winter. Take yours outside and shake it well to remove dirt and salt, and spot clean any particularly bad areas. If your entry could use a fresh look, try a new rug! There are many great indoor/outdoor options available that can simply be hosed off when they get dirty.
If you found these tips helpful be sure to subscribe to the Pretty Neat weekly email! You'll get a short and sweet message each week with my best advice for a more beautiful and functional home. Click here to sign up, and you'll also receive my FREE guide: How to Get Rid of Stuff!
Make it fab!